Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Reflections from a school bus


Reflections from a school bus


This past week I have been fortunate to help out My Small Help with two projects. The one I want to talk about today is the school bus project. My Small Help provides a number of special needs kids the chance to go to school. They provide a bus to take these kids from their homes to the school. I was there to make sure we picked up every kid and that they arrived safely to school. 


This could mean opening the door, helping the kids get to their seats, cleaning spittle off a chin, making funny faces, talking in broken Spanish, and teaching them the grease lightening dance. But each of these kids has completely touched my heart. I admire what they do every single day. They get up. They try. It’s more than some people I see back home, and here there are more complications. 


For example, there is a 19 year old who spent most of her life ignored by her family and without being able to walk, had never seen more than her own house. But with a wheelchair now and a bus, she is able to go to school for the first time. In fact she’s almost done her first grade. But what really impresses me is just what her day must be like. To get herself ready for school must take her ages. And she always looks so well put together. Clean clothes, washed and dried hair with barrettes, and even a hint of makeup. 


But to be honest, I see the same thing with all the other kids to varying degrees and on each face a smile. With nothing more than eye contact and a Buenas Dias, you get a radiant smile from each kid. I have really enjoyed connecting to each kid. Dancing to the latin pop on the radio or from a cellphone, or cuddling with this one little girl who with her beautiful green eyes flirts between waking and dreaming. 


Each day I felt really grateful (even if only for a short period of time) to take these kids to school. Mostly because it was so rewarding to see these kids interact. Even with all the discrimination and difficulties, these kids still get together and act like every other kid. Smiling, laughing, running, playing, and joking. Watching four kids kick up some dust on the playground was as beautiful a sight as I can remember seeing.


And while my contribution to their lives was small, I feel like it was just so incredible to be a part of it. If you want more information you can check out www.mysmallhelp.org and help with your own small contribution to make a big difference.







1 comment:

Amy said...

Your efforts opened up a whole new world for these special needs children. The simple act of getting a bus is a big deal when you are unable to leave your house or get an education. Keep up the great work.