Monday, January 3, 2011

Children offer gift of hope and optimism


There was an abundance of festive cheer at Marybert School and Orphanage on Christmas day as more than a hundred people from the local community joined celebrations and entertainment at the church based in the school grounds.

The Marybert youngsters played a pivotal role demonstrating their singing and dancing talent, and generally spreading joy with their smiling faces. The church service, whilst a total mystery to me (because it was in Nepali which is not native language of Scotland!) was captivating. As I sat warmed by a huddle of girls from the orphanage (males and females tend to be segregated at times of worship) it occurred to me just how different this celebration was from my own days of regular church going. As a child I would sit in a church almost too cold to bear where complicated words and passages from the Bible would be shared with the congregation, but most of which I didn't understand. Here in Gwarko the stage is awash with animation and gesticulation. There are many smiles and knowing laughter. The congregation (and audience as we switch between concert to preaching) is energetically relaxed. There is clapping, and singing and much arm swaying. It's a beautiful atmosphere to be a part of and it reminds me just how special it is to have faith in your heart.


It's this faith that keeps us going when times are tough. It's the old saying that 'it's better to light a candle than to curse the darkness' and that candle is what My Small Help lights day after day,and hopes to keep burning. We exist to help underprivileged children to carve a brighter future for themselves through education and satisfying their welfare needs. We adopt the festive 'It's better to give than to receive' adage. That said Christmas day is my birthday (Jo Young, MSH volunteer) and so the children take immeasurable delight in showering me with handmade birthday cards and drawings before singing Happy Birthday to me three times in English, and at least twice in Nepali. We share a beautiful heart shaped birthday cake together and I watch them smile and intently compare presents with each other (a generous gift from previous volunteer Kate Baker, UK). Thousands of pounds haven't been spent on these children, nor have hundreds; the gifts they received on Christmas day probably don't even amount to £10. The difference is that they have real value, and the feeling I had when spending time with them was priceless. Any happiness they have comes from within, and that is where MSH knocks gently at the door. We have faith and love for these children and so we invest your emotional support (that of course comes in the form of finance) in the children, and in return we watch them regulate their school attendance, improve their school grades, and have trust in what we can offer them.



As the sun begins to set in Gwarko everyone basks in what's left of the winter sunshine to enjoy their festive Daal Bhaat. The children and I watch them from the rooftop (we were front of the queue!). I glance around and see a desolate and inhospitable space. There are no toys, no playground equipment; just a few dusty and dirty pipes, concrete blocks, pieces of torn fabric and empty metal drums. It's hardly a playground and I want more for them. I ask one of the girls who brought me up here why it's her favourite space. Her answer is a lesson in perception, and one that I'm happy to retain: "Because the air is fresh and it's beautiful to look at the mountains [points to snow capped peaks]. You can see for miles from here and you can watch what's going on downstairs." I smile quietly to myself. She's got it in one; regardless of what surrounds you in life it's what you choose to see that really matters. My Small Help chooses to see the bigger picture, just like this young girl, and just like all of the sponsors and people who make donations. It's a vital reminder that I'll hold close, and one that I'm more than happy to share.

No comments: