Tuesday, August 31, 2010

FIRST HOUSE REBUILT IN HUAYRONCOYOC



It seems that somehow I am now the “madrina” (fairy god mother) of the
first new house which has been built in the Huayroncoyocpampa
community. It had this honour because as a "gringa" I am seen as
someone that will bring them luck and hopefully abundance. Norma
lives with here husband Alberto and 2 children Kevin and Carola. They
lost their home in the January floods and have been living in a tent
ever since. I met Norma's family in January when we first brought
volunteers to the community to help with the salvaging materials
operation.


I kindly accepted their request and the celebration continued in true
quechuan style. We were served a delicious meal of steak and pasta
(which is also traditional food for when a new house is built). The
new house has had to be built on the same land as the previous one as
they have no other land and there is nobody has offered them anywhere
else to live. There was a hope that the local government would be
providing the whole community with land for relocation but
unfortunately this has not yet been provided. The family were
struggling to survive in their tent because of the extreme
temperatures and therefore chose to take a loan to be able to afford
to live in a house again.



Normas family and many of them like them are urgently in need of support and would be very grateful for any small donation you might be able to give to make a difference to their lives.



As you can see from the photos I was presented with 2 clay bulls (for good luck) and a cross decorated with flowers. This was placed on the roof of the house for good luck and I then explained how it was an honour for me to be the “madrina” of their house and although I won’t be able to afford to give them my own money I would do my best to try and find support from other people around the world that really want to do something to help other human beings in need.

No comments: